The State of Maryland considers farmers markets essential grocery providers, and we plan to remain open to serve our community. Farmers markets are a vital part of our food system and are essential to our farmers.
Farmers’ Markets are life-sustaining businesses and are allowed to operate under state orders. Customers and vendors are encouraged to wear masks.
The greatest risk while shopping is coming in contact with someone infected with COVID-19 or contaminated objects, such as money or tabletops, and then touching your face. There is currently no evidence that COVID-19 is spread through food or food packaging.
If you are sick, stay home. Common symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, shortness of breath or chest tightness, runny nose, sore throat, body aches, and acute loss of taste and/or smell.
- Protect staff with cloth masks and when possible with plastic barriers between employees and customers.
- Allow for physical distancing, providing enough space for employees, customers and other vendors to remain 6 feet apart.
- Sampling is prohibited. No consumption will be permitted on-site.
- Food cannot be left exposed to contamination.
- Do not allow customers to touch unpackaged food. Package food in new clean bags or containers only.
- Employees should frequently wash their hands for 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer generously and wait for it dry. Wear gloves when handling produce and other ready to eat foods. Wash hands before putting gloves on and taking gloves off.
- Customers are encouraged to use their own shopping bags.
- Encourage customers to pre-order by phone or online and provide alternative payment methods that limit employee handling of money.
- Regularly clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as tabletops and payment devices (cellphones, handheld credit card readers, cash boxes, etc.).
- Food vendors must follow all food safety requirements. Prince George’s County Health Department permits are required for Farmers’ Market vendors except farmers and cottage food producers selling food items.